• Do you have significant in-house legal experience?
• Looking to establish yourself as a senior sports lawyer?
• Are you motivated and enthusiastic about a variety of work, including non-legal endeavors?
If the answer to these questions is yes, UK Sport would love to hear from you!
UK Sport is seeking to appoint a lead solicitor. This person will provide support to the organization on legal and non-legal matters in the areas of integrity, policy, risk management and compliance, data protection and corporate governance , as well as negotiation and drafting of grant and trade agreements.
You will be a qualified barrister or solicitor in England and Wales with significant experience in at least one of the following: integrity and/or regulatory matters, contracts, commercial law, public law, privacy data or corporate governance. This role is unique in nature as it requires someone with a pragmatic and solution-oriented approach to apply their legal mind in both legal and non-legal ways to add value to the organization. You have strong stakeholder and relationship management skills, as well as the ability to negotiate. Finally, you will have a strategic ability to anticipate but will also be comfortable with “hands-on” operational work.
- Lead the areas of contract negotiation, drafting and development (i.e. grant funding agreements, contracts and commercial agreements) and the development and implementation of key policies and investment decision-making processes.
- Lead legal input into integrity matters, including independent investigations and reviews.
- Provide high quality legal advice and documentation and ensure adherence to basic processes and procedures.
- Advise on/implement corporate governance, compliance and risk matters.
Key Result Areas
- Lead the writing and modification of grant agreements from low value programs to high value programs for the World Class Program, Major Events and across the organization.
- Lead all consultations with NGBs regarding grant funding agreements.
- Lead the drafting and modification of contracts from low value vendors to high value sponsorship transactions.
- Assist in handling NGB and athlete funding decisions, the representation process and any resulting appeals.
- Assist in legal input to the eligibility policy process, including conducting advocacy and panel presentations.
- Lead legal input to the organization’s responsibilities under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Freedom of Information Act (including drafting responses to data protection and freedom of information requests) .
- Assist in the defense of any external legal claims.
- Lead legal input into procurement processes, including preparation of tender documentation and advice and collaboration with contract manager.
- Provide advice and draft documents relating to corporate governance, regulatory matters and assist in the monitoring and supervision of group and subsidiary transactions and compliance.
- Advise on the legal effects of policy proposals (internal and external) and prepare consultation papers or responses to third-party consultations.
- Counsel in various areas of law; public contract, procurement, intellectual property, sport (including anti-doping, ethics), human rights, equality, data protection, freedom of information and other regulatory issues.
- Provide legal input to working groups and cross-functional projects for UK Sport.
- Provide accurate and timely advice to all areas of the organization on generic and complex legal issues.
- Line management responsibilities as required.
Policy, Risk and Compliance / Corporate Governance
- Lead legal input into the complaints process, including process improvement
- Review and update related policies and procedures such as complaints, information security, whistleblower, anti-bribery and corruption, conflict of interest and procurement.
- Implement internal audit recommendations and other reviews/reports (including supporting the implementation of annual compliance education and awareness initiatives for staff).
- Lead corporate governance matters (including directorship and board membership).
- Ensure board and committee declarations of interest are up to date and published along with other core corporate documents to meet transparency requirements.
- Educate and help maintain relationships with companies on legal panels.
- Provide internal training as needed.
- Produce and update standard models.
- Reporting and Transparency Requirements for DCMS and Central Government.
- Be responsible for own administration and that of the shared team (including copying and filing, invoice processing, maintenance of contract register and contract management).
- If necessary, deputize for the General Counsel.
Main internal and external contacts
- Management team (including CEO and COO)
- UK Sports Council
- Home Country Sports Council
- Senior executives of the British sports team
- DCMS, NGB and funded partners
- Crown Commercial Service
- External legal advisers and suppliers
- Business and commercial partners
- Professional networks
These specifications should not be considered exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as a general indication of areas of activity and will be modified in light of the changing needs of the organization.
SKILLS – Senior Lawyer
- A solicitor or barrister qualified in England and Wales with substantial post-qualification experience.
- Demonstrable experience in one or more of the following areas: integrity and/or regulatory issues, contracts (including commercial), data protection, freedom of information and corporate governance, and willingness to quickly develop expertise in other areas .
- Solution-oriented, pragmatic and hands-on approach.
- Application of expertise to legal and non-legal challenges.
- Comfortable operating at a strategic level and delivering “hands-on” operational delivery.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills at all levels.
- Stakeholder and relationship management skills.
- Work on complex multi-party grant funding agreements and projects.
- Demonstrable experience in regulatory, intellectual property, sports law and privacy law.
- Demonstrable experience in providing advice to the public sector and public law.
How to register
Please send your CV together with a cover letter explaining why you think you are suitable for the position before Monday 21st February 2022 to [email protected]
UK SPORT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
UK Sport is a recognized equal opportunity employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and motherhood, race, religion, beliefs and sex.
To help us measure progress; please complete our online equality tracking form when submitting your application.