Lawyer course

Dwayne Haskins ‘drank a lot’ before dump truck hit him; His wife’s lawyer asks “to suspend his judgment”

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins was legally drunk and used drugs before he was hit and killed by a dump truck while walking on a Florida interstate highway last month.

In an autopsy report released Monday, Haskins’ blood alcohol level was 0.20, or 2.5 times the legal limit of 0.08 for driving in the state.

On Monday, Rick Ellsley, an attorney for Haskins’ wife, released a statement asking the public to “defer judgment.”

“In the name of Dwayne’s wife, his family and his memory, and in the name of truth, we respectfully ask and pray for privacy, patience and that the public withhold judgment during this time as the law enforcement authorities continue to investigate and carry out their important work.

According to the report, he also had the painkiller ketamine and its metabolite norketamine in his system. The drug can be prescribed by a doctor, but can also be abused recreationally. The report doesn’t say why the former Ohio State University star had it in his system.

The report says investigators found Haskins’ car out of gas near where he was hit. A woman he was with told investigators that Haskins, 24, went to get fuel. Witnesses said he was trying to wave at cars and was standing in the center lane when he was hit by the truck and then an SUV. The report says he died of blunt force trauma. No charges have been filed.

Haskins had been training in South Florida with some of his Steelers teammates. The report says Haskins went to dinner with his teammates, then to a club with a friend or cousin, possibly in Miami. The two argued and parted ways.

Haskins had been on the phone with his wife, Kalabrya, back in Pittsburgh shortly before he was struck, telling her he had run out of gas. She told a 911 dispatcher that she was worried when he didn’t call back and didn’t answer her calls. She could be heard praying on the recording after the dispatcher put her on hold to find out if anything had been reported. The dispatcher then told her to stay by her phone and someone would contact her.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.